Sunday 1 September 2013

Endocarditis: Have a high index of suspicion in the right clinical context!


We recently discussed our approach to Infective Bacterial Endocarditis (IBE). Try to keep these key things in mind:

History
-Fever/sweats, dyspnea, chest pain, constitutional (night sweats, weight loss, myalgia/arthralgia); complications/seeding (painful nodules, arthralgias, rash, MI, stroke); PMHx of structural heart disease, recent procedures (dental, GI, GU), history of IVDU, SLE, malignancy, current medications, previous IBE, dental hygiene, line sepsis, indwelling catheters/Hemodialysis lines, prior cardiac valvular disease/surgery

High Index of Suspicion: consider with Fever of Unknown Origin (FUO), persistent bacteremia, heart failure, myocarditis, pericarditis, stroke, pneumonia, PE, splenic infarction, GN, septic arthritis, and osteomyelitis (OM)

·         Other, non-bacterial thrombotic endocarditis: can be secondary to malignancy (usually adenocarcinoma) or SLE (Libman-Sacks endocarditis)-à AKA “MARANTIC ENDOCARDITIS”


Imaging Pearls with respect to ECHO: Trans-thoracic echocardiogram (TTE) versus Trans-esophageal echocardiogram (TEE)
·       TTE: lower sensitivity (SN) for vegetation, but high specificity (SP) approaching 100%; a positive TTE virtually rules in IBE; SN 55% (THUS, does not rule out IBE, especially in patient with intermediate probability)
·       TEE: higher spatial resolution and more SN (94%) with a SP of 100%! Especially useful for prosthetic values in the mitral or aortic position, because acoustic shadowing can make the transthoracic approach suboptimal. More sensitive to detect valve abscesses.
·       NOTE: Start with TTE; consider starting with TEE if limited thoracic window (i.e. patient with a chest wall deformity, obesity), prosthetic valves (especially mitral or aortic—shadowing makes it difficult), prior valve abnormality, etc

 Diagnostic for IBE: 2 Major Criteria OR 1 Major Criteria + 3 Minor Criteria, OR 0 Major Criteria + 5 Minor Criteria
    Modified Duke Criteria

   MAJOR CRITERIA
·       Blood Culture: Positive blood culture for typical IBE organism (i.e. S. viridans, S. bovis, HACEK, Enterococcus, S. aureus- often without another primary site), from 2 separate blood culture sites with samples drawn >12 hours apart OR 3 or a majority of 4 separate blood cultures (first and last sample drawn 1 hour apart)
·       Single positive blood culture for Coxiella burnetii or anti-phase 1 IgG anti-body titre>1:800
·       Echocardiogram evidence: oscillating intra-cardiac mass on valve or supporting structures, in the path of regurgitant jets, or on implanted material in the absence of an alternate anatomic explanation, OR an abscess, OR a new partial dehiscence of a prosthetic valve OR a new valvular regurgitation (i.e. new regurgitant murmur)
   MINOR CRITERIA
·       Risk factor/Pre-disposition: IV drug use (IVDU) or predisposing heart condition
·       Fever: defined as temperature >38.0 C
·       Vascular Phenomena: arterial emboli, pulmonary infarcts, mycotic aneurysms, intra-cranial hemorrhage, conjunctival hemorrhage, Janeway lesions
·       Immunologic Phenomena: glomerulonephritis (GN), Osler nodes, Roth spots, +ve Rheumatoid Factor (RF)
·       Microbiological evidence: positive blood culture not meeting Major Criteria, or serological evidence of active infection with organism consistent with IBE (excluding Coagulase Negative Staph and other common contaminants)


   RESOURCES: IDSA Guidelines



1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete